© 2010-2012 Friends of Midas. All Rights Reserved.
The closest ranch to Midas is the Squaw Valley Ranch. Originally named Fairlawn, it was started in the late 19th century by an English corporation called Nevada Land and Cattle Company Limited. A post office, also designated as Fairlawn, operated there from 1888 to 1904. This cancellation by the Fairlawn post office, dated May 21, 1889, is exceedingly rare and was recently acquired by FOM through Holabird-Kagin Americana.
T.D. Parkinson was a civil engineer who produced maps of the Comstock Lode and was one of the founders of Winnemucca. He was elected Humboldt County Surveyor in 1880. By 1888, Parkinson was the manager for Nevada Land and Cattle for which he developed a water storage system. Read about it in this article from the Daily Nevada State Journal (click to enlarge):
Click here to return to the main acquisitions page.